YASC: single frame animation efficiency

This is the place to find out how to accomplish something specific with SM2.

YASC: single frame animation efficiency

Postby tvalleau » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Yet Another Sanity Check, (please) re: Internal structure/ efficiency question

Question re: prefabs, animations

1) I'm aiming at the iPhone.

2) Suppose I make a prefab that has 7 animations, each 26 frames long. That's 182 frames. (It's 7 different hand-made graphic fonts, actually.) I may have a dozen of these instantiated and on-screen at a given time.

Would I be correct to think that each instance of the prefab is a relatively small structure, pointing back to the sprite atlas? That is, the prefab isn't duplicating the entire atlas for each instance is it?

What I'm actually doing is picking out a single frame (a single letter) to display... I'm not running sprite animations at all. If an instance is really all pointers, then I'm probably reasonably efficient.

Or, for some reason would it behoove me to make 7 different prefabs, one for each font style?

Or is there something (that doesn't involve creating 182 individual sprites :-) that would work better, given that these are not "fonts" but really just graphics? (meaning I don't think I can easily use SpriteFont can I? )

TIA

Tracy
tvalleau

Re: YASC: single frame animation efficiency

Postby Little Angel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Unless I miss the point, you'll only ever have one atlas. There are issues with materials if you scale the transform... You can dig around the forum for threads on that. The best suggestion is to leave the transforms the same scale and then use internal solutions to scaling (eg: the Size in SpriteText...).

SpriteText is just an atlas and a text file pointing to each character. If you are just trying to do some work-around with custom text, then you should be able to use SpriteText, whether it's building your own atlas by hand and then creating your own controlling text file, or building your own custom font in a simple font creation package and then processing it thru Hiero (etc.) as described in the SpriteText thread.

This is the text file that's included with EZGui, and it could be made by hand: http://littleangel.pastebin.com/9wPmD8Dn ... but it looks like a lot of work.

If it were me, I'd try to find a simple text creator and create my own font and process it to SpriteText. This would also mean you could use all of the text methods on the characters.

The problem with making your own font, is that you are guaranteeing that you'll have 7 different sprite atlases and 7 sprite materials unless you use all of the character slots available. You'd get two with upper and lower case on one sheet. Then you could try to create one with the option, command and control keys (5), or more if you chord (shift+option), then you might be able to get them all on one sheet...

Just a thought. I don't have a line on a font creator...
Little Angel

Postby tvalleau » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the time you put into the reply. While I own a couple of font creators, that's not suitable... here are my fonts:
fonts.jpg

You can see why I asked... ;)
tvalleau

Postby Little Angel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Maybe I'm naive... but can you, like a ding bat, just define each one of those graphics as a character in a typeface? Or do they require bezier scaleable graphics? Maybe an EVEN SIMPLER font creator that makes only bitmapped graphics and then saves them in a format to process thru hiero... hum...

You could make each one a separate graphic element and save each one to a prefab using my batch button maker... At least it would be a painless way to get all those graphics onto one atlas and in an easy to manipulate package. Then you could save the prefabs into one single array... maybe...
Little Angel

Postby tvalleau » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 pm

The only font packages I know of create bezier structures: postScript. I don't think a bit-mapped font has seen the light of day for a decade or more.

Actually, I have them all in an atlas right now (that's where the screen-grab came from.) But they are in as packed sprites, and animation frames. So, if I want a member of the block character set, say "Z", then I just pass along the animation number that holds the block character set, and the frame number, 26. That give me exactly one prefab for all the alphabet, in any one of seven different fonts.

Thanks for thinking about it with me!
tvalleau

Postby Little Angel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:57 pm

NP. It's always fascinating to think about...
Little Angel

Postby czwen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 pm

polo ralph lauren outlet online
true religion sale
true religion uk
rolex watches for sale
Replica Rolex
michael kors uk
kate spade uk
kate spade bags
louis vuitton uk
louis vuitton purse