iOS not showing any saved profiles

This is the place to find out how to accomplish something specific with EZ Game Saver.

iOS not showing any saved profiles

Postby egoists » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi!

I'm making game for iPad and currently testing EZ GS. I installed sample project on iPad, but I have two problems :

1. When I press Home Button and application goes to background, It's not showing resume screen when I call it back, it continues playing from last frame.

2. When I kill application and then start over, it shows new game and resume buttons, but when I press Resume button, there are no player profiles in the list ( but I had saved the game before with Save button.) There are no such problems on Mac, when I test the game, they only appear when installed on iDevice.

Do you have any suggestions?
egoists

Re: iOS not showing any saved profiles

Postby Brady » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 pm

On the first issue, I think that's due to iOS 4's "multitasking" so that the Unity player doesn't get closed down, and therefore OnApplicationQuit() isn't called.

On the second issue, make sure you are using the .NET 2.0 subset. .NET 2.0 full has a bug in property reflection that Unity hasn't fixed yet. The sample project saves properties, and so if you have it set to use anything but the .NET 2.0 subset, then it is probably crashing mid-way through the save because of this bug, and therefore not all the information gets properly saved, which could explain why the profile isn't showing up.
Brady

Postby egoists » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks, I will check that out on Monday, hope this helps..
egoists

Postby AirshipGames » Thu May 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I am having the same issue on Android.
Is there a way to save without profiles?
AirshipGames

Postby Brady » Fri May 06, 2011 7:29 pm

No, profiles are part of the way savegames are organized. But I don't think the problem is with a profile, but rather with the fact that iOS is just suspending the game and not quitting it, which means OnApplicationQuit() doesn't get called, and therefore the autosave doesn't happen. You can try force-quitting the game from the "task manager" thingy on iOS, or you can just "manually" save the game by calling SaveGameMaster.instance.Save().
Brady

Postby AirshipGames » Wed May 11, 2011 3:23 pm

I did that too: force quit the app - on Android though, as I said; and it must be something about it since on both iOS and Android is happening and I'd like to see a better fix than manually saving the game.
AirshipGames

Postby AirshipGames » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Went back to the example provided (pego game) and deployed a clean build on my Samsung Galaxy S; Should I bother trying Nexus and Tab? No. No profile saved although I am using the save button and force quit the app. It kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing the whole thing if it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
AirshipGames

Postby Brady » Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm

I only suggested the manual save to test and see if the problem was resulting from OnApplicationQuit() not being called. It's a diagnostic, not a work-around.

If an explicit save call isn't creating the profile even in the sample project, I'm not sure what to suggest since this is working in my tests, and in fact, under the hood, it's just using conventional PlayerPrefs calls to create the key for the profile, etc. So if that's not working, then it would seem something much more fundamental is going on.

Since I don't have any suggestions at this point as to how to get it going for you, feel free to e-mail me directly with your order reference number and I'd be happy to refund you what you paid for EZ Game Saver.
Brady

Postby dreamora » Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 pm

yes you should bother trying nexus. Reason is that Galaxy S, depending on the OS version, is pestered with problems which affect all applications including Unity itself. The Nexus S, while being the same hardware, wouldn't have these problems (not even the nexus one) as they are google maintained, not samsung fucked up
dreamora

Postby AirshipGames » Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Ok so I bothered with the nexus 1 (nexus 2 is coming the next morning and I'll try that too); same result, or should I say, no result. Nexus 1 is not in our projected device list (it's not even produced anymore and way hardware dated) - I'll just say it doesn't work on galaxy s which is a good platform and since the same issue is coming up on both iOS and Android, I'd say it needs a wee lookup, not in a demanding way, but from a customer perspective; it's not the end of the world but still, it's a deal breaker since a key feature doesn't work.
AirshipGames

Next

Return to EZ Game Saver How to...