EZGui Price?

EZGui Price?

Postby Digitalos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but didn't EZGui used to be like $50 or something? I was considering getting it for my personal project, but holy crap, $200 D:
Digitalos

Re: EZGui Price?

Postby Little Angel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes. The "special introductory price" ended when EZG went up on the asset store when Unite started.
Little Angel

Postby Malveka » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I understand that $200 is a significant outlay, but the amount of time you will save by using EZ GUI will repay that investment many times over.

Cheers,
Mal
Malveka

Postby Digitalos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:41 am

Malveka wrote:I understand that $200 is a significant outlay, but the amount of time you will save by using EZ GUI will repay that investment many times over.

Cheers,
Mal

I use EZGui at work, and have been on the forums here for a few months now, and so sure I don't disagree that EZGui will not save time, however my GUI is all done (on my personal project) and I was considering getting EZGui after Christmas to replace my current GUI as EZGui does indeed make doing some things a lot easier, and my GUI on my personal project is all created at edit-time, so that would basically be the best scenario for using EZGui. It was only when I went to actually get it, that I noticed the price had quadrupled. I mean, ~$200 was what my studio paid for, for a studio license. It's not terminal, I have my GUI done, to 100% completion as I said. Just after my experience with EZGui for work, I realised how quickly I could port it over, and thought that would be easily worth ~$50 to have some animations in place, but animations are not worth $200 unfortunately. :<

It was a shock and scuppered my plans is all, usually when an introductory price is about to end, or the price will change, there is some notice. Like when Unity did their Unity 3.0 preorder deal, they made it really clear that it was A) Temporary and B) About to end - when it was. Maybe I didn't get the memo or something, but if I had known, I would have gotten EZGui before, it was merely just precautionary that I was waiting post Christmas for finances to stabilise again.
Digitalos

Postby Little Angel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah. It was a large jump. There were some warnings, mainly on the unity forum, indicating that the price would go up, and I noticed as I read all the ezgui posts, but they were easy to miss and the general public didn't pick it up and discuss it until after it was done, so it didn't get highlighted by the community before it happened.
Little Angel

Postby Digitalos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:18 am

Little Angel wrote:Yeah. It was a large jump. There were some warnings, mainly on the unity forum, indicating that the price would go up, and I noticed as I read all the ezgui posts, but they were easy to miss and the general public didn't pick it up and discuss it until after it was done, so it didn't get highlighted by the community before it happened.

Right then... well... crap. :'<

Maybe when I'm rich and famous I suppose. :>
Digitalos

Postby Brady » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:34 pm

One thing to remember is that the new licensing model is such that the $200 is essentially a studio license. So you're actually getting a studio license for *less* than you would have paid before (was $225). And from the beginning, the price was advertised as being introductory.

And I'm sorry if I didn't get notice out sufficiently about the price change, but I did post everywhere I could post - both here, on the various Unity forum threads, and even on the product page itself, I think about a month in advance, IIRC.

I realize it was a big jump, but the price change was a result of several factors, including restrictions on the Asset Store which required a change in the licensing model.
Brady

Postby Digitalos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Brady wrote:One thing to remember is that the new licensing model is such that the $200 is essentially a studio license. So you're actually getting a studio license for *less* than you would have paid before (was $225). And from the beginning, the price was advertised as being introductory.

And I'm sorry if I didn't get notice out sufficiently about the price change, but I did post everywhere I could post - both here, on the various Unity forum threads, and even on the product page itself, I think about a month in advance, IIRC.

I realize it was a big jump, but the price change was a result of several factors, including restrictions on the Asset Store which required a change in the licensing model.

I understand it's cheaper than the previous studio license, but I'm not a studio, I'm one person, so that's pretty irrelevant to me. I'm not arguing that it's not worth it. A $100k Porsche is worth it, but it's still out of my price range. ;)

I was merely saying I wasn't aware the price was changing and when I went to get it, it was such that it made it quite unattractive for me. I don't frequent any of the Unity boards, and have been so busy for the last three months working that over the Christmas break was literally the first time I had to surface and assess my own projects and that's when I thought, given what I know now about EZGui, I would grab it and port my current UI over as it would be a small job. Anyhow, don't want to beat a dead horse, so let's just leave it at that. Thanks for the replies. :>
Digitalos

Postby Digitalos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 pm

So I am now officially part of the EZGui minion horde, as is my indie partner in crime. :> (this is for our personal stuff, not our work - where we use EZGui already that is, just to clarify since I've been posting on the forums for the last few months in the context of someone who already owns it)

It took just over 1hour last night for me, where I created all the controls with my existing artwork, setup the camera/managers and panels and ripped out my old UI. You can't buy experiences like that... unless, you buy EZGui :>
Digitalos

Postby Brady » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Welcome, Digitalos! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Brady

Next

Return to EZ GUI General